Saturday, November 24, 2007

Read the Book of Mormon

In 2005 in the Saturday Church News, President Hinckley told the Church membership to read the Book of Mormon by the year's end. The letter was read on a Sunday on July 25th of 2005.

Originally I read a talk by Dallin H. Oaks called, "Another Testament of Jesus Christ," given on June 6, 1993. I read this talk the next October and was impressed with it. However, I didn't follow his advice until March 1, 1996. I started reading 10 chapters a day and found I could read all 531 pages every 24 days. I did this for some two years and at the same time I started reading 10 sections of the D&C and found I could read it every 16 days cover to cover. Then I started reading the New Testament and found I could read it every 26 days cover to cover. I read these books some 15 or 20 times and then I tried the Old Testament by reading 30 chapters a day, but only read it once. I found I could read it every 31 days cover to cover. As I was reading some 60 chapters a day I decided to read only the Book of Mormon at 30 chapters a day and found I could read it every 8 days cover to cover. This I am doing at the present time and I am on my 420th reading at this date, November 24, 2007.

No comments: